Friday, December 21, 2012

"You Need to Get With Tyler Perry!"

Atlanta actors have this common chuckle about hearing these statements from people on a regular basis:
"Do you know Tyler Perry?" "You know Tyler Perry has a new studio in Atlanta, right?" "You should try to get on one of Tyler Perry’s shows." and MY favorite…."Guuuurl…you need to get with Tyler Perry!"
All to which, in my head, I answer…."I wish I could just walk up to his door and say…'You need to put me in your movie'" or "Nope…hadn’t thought of that." :-)  But I know they only mean well and are trying to help me look at all my options, so instead, I can happily answer, "You know…I don’t think I’m gonna GET with Tyler Perry, lol, but I HAVE had the opportunity to work with him." -- And now, on two occasions.
I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Perry, in the role of a reporter, in the movie "Meet the Browns", and most recently had the opportunity to work under his direction again, in the feature film, "Single Mom’s Club". 
Consistent with my initial experience of having some freedom to improvise and not be married to the script, his direction on the set of "Single Mom’s Club" reflected the same trust and expectation to handle your business, do what you know, and be in the moment.  And what I find most impressive is that he operates in this manner no matter how big or small the role is.  The shoot was great!  We were in and out…quick and efficient.  I didn’t start out with a lot to say, but just as with "Meet the Browns", ended up with a lot more delivered, because I was ready. :-) 
It was also a pleasure meeting and working with the female stars of the film Amy Smart, Cocoa Brown, Nia Long, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and one of the sweetest ladies ever, Zulay Henao.  All were really down-to-earth and great to work with.  The crew…of course…on point…made things easy breezy.
This will be added to my list of truly valuable experiences in this journey….


 

Me with Tyler Perry and actress Carrie Walrond
at the SMC Wrap Party


Waiting in my trailer/dressing room to go on set





Me & Zulay Henao
  









Me and Amy Smart













14 comments:

  1. It is a trip sometimes that our people think that industry folks don't know who he is or that the thought has never crossed your mind to be in one of his projects. LOL. Vic g.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree Vic. I mean when you are in any business it is your business to know everyone and everything about that business to assist in your success. Being a black actress especially in Atlanta, it should just be expected that you have pursued a Tyler Perry production.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, someone close to me asked me today "Do you think you will do any more work with Tyler Perry?" And this is just after finishing a job with him a week ago. The thing is, it just reaffirmed that people sincerely see Tyler Perry as the most viable option for actors, here in Atlanta, to find real success. I honestly believe that most people are not aware of the many other projects (film/tv) that are and have been taking place in the Southeast. Since we are privy to that information, those questions are a little more perplexing to us, but they are sincere and have positive intentions nonetheless. So...I am more than willing to continue to answer the questions that I know will be asked of me a thousand times over on this journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have officially "got" with Tyler Perry. Two movies and counting. Shooot! I don't know nobody. Lol! I luv u and keep on pushing baby.
    -Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I guess so Dee Dee, huh? :-) Thanks hon...I plan on it! Luv u too.

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to wish you much continued success in your Journey. Zar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Azar! I appreciate you taking the time to check me out and show me some love. I receive that and look forward to you coming along for the journey. Thanks again!

      Delete
  6. hey, i was just wondering...have you ever thought about working with tyler perry?? 'cause girl, you should really get with him!!

    haha!!

    love this post and so excited about your journey (and getting to follow along on this blog!).

    much love!! xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You are funny. :-) Glad you got a chuckle out of that. Thanks for the love!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Lol! I'm not making this stuff up. :-) Somebody asked me New Year's Eve. :-) And we ended up having a great conversation. I love it.

      Delete
  8. Sigh. A post after my own heart. :) Congrats girl! xo Kaira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I knowww you were screaming "Yessss!" I cant imagine how much you hear this even having done your fair share of TP projects. :-)

      Delete
    2. how can someone get famous

      Delete